The Frozen City
The Elder Gods
The elder gods, or as they are often called the old gods, are less the active human like gods of Norse and Greek lore and more primal forces. They are worshiped as a group by those that worship them at all and there dogma is more one of respect and tradition then of sermon ceremony or commandments.
These gods are from an older time, one where communities were close and the world was larger than anyone could imagine. The rituals that developed to worship the gods of that time were few, carving a protective or guiding totem at the birth of a child, making offerings before planning and on the harvest. Their worshipers did not have a complex relationship with the gods; respect them, keep them happy, hope the good ones will bless you and the bad will show you mercy.
In modern times many view the old gods as an out dated or uncivilized belief but it still has its followers and priesthood. Druids and shaman of the elder gods are far more common than clerics or paladins but those exist too. The priesthood is the spiritual guide within the faith but this is a largely independent religion of small private observances so the priesthood is more than anything a guardian and servant of the community. Orcs, Giants, Trolls and the like worship the Elders almost exclusively while Humans Dwarves and Elves have mostly moved away from the old gods.
Druid lore says that Denev trained the first druid, passed to them the herblore and bestowed them with their duties, but even they worship the elder gods as a group. A druid or shaman may take on aspects of individual elders, painting themselves as Chern before a battle or Lethene before setting out to sea.
The nature of clerics and paladins are more fixed. Most clerics and paladins worship more individualistic deities but those who follow the old must still find conviction and dogma to root their power in, as such they while paying respect to all the elder gods hold one as a guide and personal beacon. Clerics and paladins choosing this faith tend to reflect its primal nature and should consider archetypes and class options to fit.
The elder gods offer all non alignment Domains
Named aspects of the most well known elder gods (this is not a complete list and names differ from one culture/race to another)
- Denev – Life, nature, the earth mother – Represented by plants and animal aspects (horns, fur, feathers etc.); Symbolized by green leaves; Favored weapon is scythe/sickle
- Nemorga – Death, the void – Represented by a black face with no eyes, symbolized by empty vessels (most often and empty cup or circle); Favored weapon is unarmed
- Chern – Fire, Destruction – Represented by charred/burnt flesh or adornments (often red paint and ash): Symbolized by flame or ash; Favored weapon is the Battle Axe
- Lethene – The Seas, storms (rain), wind- Represented by flowing transparent white or blue clothing (sometimes wet or oiled hair); Symbolized by waves or flowing water; Favored weapon is scimitar & falchion
- Gulaben – The Sky, Cold, Snow – Represented by white skin, blue lips, frosted hair (the appearance of being frozen); Symbolized by Ice (often glass made to look like ice); Favored weapons are bows of all types
- Kadum – Mountains, Earthquakes – Represented by dust and dirt caked skin, and not wearing shoes; Symbolized by raw gemstone; Favored weapon of hammer
- Vangal – Magic, Mystery, the unknown – Represented by complex patterns, painting the skin with patterns; Symbolized by intricately tied knots or knot drawings (Celtic knots); Favored weapon of Staff